10 Information about U.S. passports, you should know

By support@click2visas.com
3 years

Passport is one of the necessary legal documents enforced by the government. It helps in permitting the holder to travel around the world. Click2visas provides user-friendly assistance and complete guidance to apply and to hold a valid passport. All you have to do is click on Click2visas and include required personal information and documents with step-by-step guidance. 

10 Information about U.S. passports

1. The Best Passport in the World

The U.S. passport is one of the best passports in the World. Holders of the U.S. passport can travel visa-free travel to 116 countries. They can opt for visa-on-arrival travel to 57 countries, with a total mobility score of 173. The Documents considered as proof of citizenship for a Passport in the USA denote the eligibility for a U.S. passport. 

Eligibility for a U.S. Passport

To hold a U.S. passport, you should be a U.S. citizen by birth or be a U.S. national.

Passport Book and Passport Card

A review of the passport contributes to a better understanding of the passport. A passport book is essential for any international travel by air. You can use a passport card or a passport book to enter the Land border or seaports from Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, and the Caribbean. A passport card is less expensive and commodious than a passport book but cannot be used for international travel by air. 

Second U.S. Passport

According to the current Department of State’s longstanding policy regulations, no individuals should have more than one U.S. passport. The second U.S. passport is an exception to the rules. The second passport will be approved individually with limitations and restrictions. 

Documents required for a Second U.S. passport:

  • A Completed appropriate passport application form DS-82 or DS-11.
  • A first-time applicant for a second valid passport: Bearer’s current normal validity U.S. passport (10-year passport).
  • Renewal of second valid passport: Holders current valid passport and current normal validity U.S. national passport.
  • A signed written document specifying the reason(s) that the second passport is needed. The absence of one of the two passports should be reported to Passport Services instantly, or to the closest U.S. if it is abroad, to the nearest Embassy, consulate, or consulting department.
  • One colored photograph, 5x 5 cm (2 x 2 inches), head scale from chin to top minimum 25 mm (1 inch), average 35 mm (1 3/8 inch), on a white, plain background, not having any white frame, shot on standard photographic paper in the last six months, full face (no mask, shades, bandana, etc.).
  • Second passport fee: For adult, $110.00 (DS-82) or $135.00 (DS-11) and for minor under 16, $105.00 (DS-11).

2. Passport Validity

The validity of a passport is normally 5 or 10 years. Most countries issue 5 year passports for children and young adults. Passports typically have to valid under passports issuing protocols for at least six months from your travel date. Your country of destination does not allow you to enter the border if your passport is at risk of expiring. Every country has different requirements regarding the length of validity of your passport. Know about your passport in detail and how long a passport is good for.

What denotes an invalid passport?

Damaged passport

Damaged passports and passports in poor condition are considered invalid. A valid Passport requires to be well maintained without any doggy ears or scribbling in it. Replace the damaged passport immediately. The Passport Unit might hold damaged passports for security reasons. A damaged passport cannot be used as evidence of citizenship or identification. 

Change of Sex Marker

If you are in the middle of or have completed your transition, you must apply passport using Form DS-11. In addition to the standard guideline for those applying for a DS-11, you may also need a physician’s statement. 

Expired Passport

Look for the expiry date of your passport in the pages of your passport. The expiry date will be mentioned along with the date of issue. You can check the validity yourself. Traveling with an expired passport is not permitted. Guidelines for renewing an expired passport will help you track and renew your expired passport.

For more details visit, Instruction for how to check if my passport is valid online.

Renew a passport with click2visas to have a safe and cost-effective process.

3. How early can a U.S. passport be renewed?

Department of State’s website recommends extending a passport within nine months of the expiry date. Passports for Americans aged 16 and over are valid for ten years, while passports for younger children are valid for five years. Specific renewal requirements vary depending on different factors. The requirements include the issue date of your passport and few other details in the current passport.

How to renew a passport online?

Passports can renew at any time. Renewing the passport before nine months of due to expire is advisable. To make a very early renewal (Years), you will have to give a brief clarification. Only expired passports valid for ten years are allowed to be renewed. Children’s passports existing for five years cannot be renewed.

Form DS-82:

Details about Renewing a Passport Online in the U.S. is easy. Click2visas makes the process simple. 

When registering for the U.S. renewal passport online, you will have to fill in DS-82, a government form. Provide the correct details for an error-free passport. 

To renew your passport, mail the finished renewal form. The form should contain:

  • Your previously issued passport.
  • A recent passport-sized photo.
  • Payment for fees.
  • Name change documentation (if required).

4. Passport number changes after renewal.

Yes, the passport number changes after renewal. The renewed passport will have a different number from your old passport. If you have used your old passport to verify any official documents, kindly update your application form with your renewed passport number.  

5. Expected time for passport renewal:

If you opt for a routine service, it will take 10 to 12 weeks. Expedited service will take up to 4-6 weeks. 

6. Fee for passport renewal

  • Adult renewal applicants in the U.S. can apply only by mail. Adult candidates outside the U.S. should apply through a U.S. Consulate or Embassy. Applicants who need expedited passport renewals can apply for the service online.
  • A passport book will cost you $110. A passport card will cost $30. Combo of a passport book and a card will cost $140.
  • The above application fees are for regular operation.
  • Payment with cash is not available.
  • Payments should be made in the form of a money order or personal check.
  • Please print the applicant’s full name and date of birth on the front of the check or money order.

Renew your U.S. passport Online with Click2visas with 10X advantage.

7. Is Using Visa from the old passport after renewal applicable? And can we add extra pages to the passport?

Yes. Your old passport is not eligible for international travel until you obtain your new passport. However, you can always use a valid visa from your old passport. In such cases, you should travel with both your new and old passport. 

Passport adding page service in the U.S.

The U.S. stopped passport adding page services. Still, you can opt for the alternatives:

You can opt for a new passport or choose a 52-page passport while applying for a new one.

8. How to acquire a passport for Children?

Documents required:

  • U.S. citizenship proof of the child
  • Parent’s or Guardian relationship proof to the child
  • Parents/guardians or children’s Photo ID
  • Identification documents photocopy
  • Passport size photo

Follow the below-given steps for getting a passport for a child

  1. Complete the child passport application form
  2. Gather required documents
  3. Visit the passport application acceptance facility.
  4. Pay the child passport fee.
  5. Submit the completed DS-11 Form
  6. Track the status of the application

Passport renewal applications are not applicable for children below the age of sixteen. The State Department does not provide an option to send passport applications electronically.

Procedures to change the name in the passport

Passports must always bear your current legal name. When you change your name after your marriage or after other life events, the name in your passport must be changed. It is essential to know the key factors on how to change the name on a passport. When your passport is less than a year old, you can change your name for free. Complete Form DS-5504 passport application and mail it to the address specified in the form. The Guidelines to change passport name will lead you with systematic instructions

9. Details and requirements regarding passport photos for adults and kids.            

A passport renewal application requires one photo of the applicant. The guideline for a passport photo is applicable to all, irrespective of age and gender. The requirements to get a baby passport photo should be met to avoid cancellations during the process of renewal.

U.S Passport Photos requirement

Best and easy way to get a photo of a child:

Place your baby on a simple white or off-white sheet on its back. This will ensure support for your baby’s head and give the photo a plain background. Make sure to avoid shadows in the photo. 

When to Update Passport photo after a transformation in appearance?

You need not apply for a new passport or request a new photo for your visa application if you are identifiable from the photo in your current passport or visa application. New photos are required if there is a significant change in your appearance. You will have to apply for a new passport or request a new photo to apply for a visa if you are: 

  1. Subject to major facial surgery or trauma
  2. Numerous/large facial piercings or tattoos 
  3. Loss or gain of a significant amount of weight
  4. Securing a fresh gender identity

Your photo will be approved at the discretion of the U.S. passport service when you apply for a passport or U.S. consulate or Embassy.

Are you wondering where to find a passport photo service! There are many passport photo applications nearby. Many sites sell passport photos, but only a few have fair rates. Look for the best place to pay a fair price. Then compare each price to get a better picture of how much you can save for your photo. You can also snap a passport photo by yourself.

10. Lost or Stolen Passport

Are you tired of searching for your lost passport? Usually, lost travel documents are misplaced. If your U.S. travel document is lost or stolen, file the application form DS-64 for Lost or Stolen Passports. If you find your travel document after declaring it to be lost or stolen, you will still need to apply for a new travel document. The recovered passport is considered invalid. Time taken to replace a lost passport might take six weeks or longer.

Is your passport stolen when you are on a trip to a different nation? Contact the nearest consulate or Embassy of the United States. 

Is it possible to renew a passport if it is lost and not found? 

No, renewing a lost passport is offensive. The missing passport should be reported in person at an application acceptance facility.

Emergency Passport 

If you are outside of the United States, the Embassy will be able to grant you a limited passport valid only for an immediate return to the United States.

If you are in the United States, you might be eligible for an appointment if a member of your immediate family has died, been severely ill, or been wounded while abroad, and you need to fly outside the United States within 72 hours (3 business days). Parents, legal guardians, infants, husbands, brothers, and grandparents are examples of immediate family members. 

what are the passport services you can avail with Click2visas?

Apply Chargeless USA and Nigeria Passport Services
We offer passport assistance service which provides filling of your passport application forms (either new or re-issuance) without any research from your end.

This publication is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to cover every aspect of the topics with which it deals. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content in this publication. Through this blog post you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of FULFILL Holding Pvt limited. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them. The information in this publication does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from FULFILL Holding Pvt limited or its affiliates. We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.