Guidelines for renewing expired passport

3 years


When it’s time to plan a flight, people prefer having a to-do list based on essential things like luggage, clothes, budget, and even meals, but one thing frequently missed is checking the passport’s expiration date. So, it’s essential to know about renewing expired passport. You may wonder why it would be so necessary, and the truth is, if you are traveling with an expired passport, you may not even be able to step outside the airport. There are two forms of renewal procedures for passports: one that goes to the government body in person and the other via a website.

Business man showing ipad to woman

What are the procedures to renew your US passport by mail?

Unfortunately, not all can apply by mail for a passport renewal. You can find below the eligibility requirements for this form of application. Keep in mind that it must meet all the requirements. If anyone of you fails, you will apply in person:

  • You already have your visa. If you like to Renew, and you can apply to your application. If your passport is lost/stolen and Find/retrieved later, you have to apply in person.
  • The passport does not get damaged. We understand mutilated, missing pages, discoloration, etc. 
  • At the time your first passport was released, you were at least 16 years old. The passport does not exceed 15 years old. 

The passport is in your name. Nevertheless, if you have changed your name and a certificate certifying that, you can apply by mail.

Procedures for applying outside of the united states?

Requesting a U.S. passport outside of U.S. applies differently than in the U.S. 

When you are living in Canada, special procedures apply. Register for your US passport and renew it. 

If you are flying around the world in over four weeks, it will be able to renew your US passport by email.

You will apply to a US embassy or consulate in Canada in person if: 

You renew your passport in less than four weeks and fly internationally 

You are a first-time applicant. You are requesting a passport for your children under age 16. Unless you are staying in some other country other than Canada, you must apply for all passport services in person at a U.S. embassy or consulate. 

Each U.S. embassy and consulate has different processes for submitting and processing the final documents, but the forms, paperwork supporting, fees and finished goods are identical

What are the procedures for renewing expired passport in person?

Your new passport-make sure it meets the eligibility criteria again. 

A DS-82 form – first, you must fill it out online, and then you must print it out. Don’t forget to sign this and to date it

one passport photo – this means 

It should be two by 2 inches and only taken six months ago. The context must be lightweight because You can’t turn the photo up without glasses. Where applicable, 

the document which proves your name change – These may include a marriage certificate, a divorce order, etc.

Can I be renewing my passport at an acceptance facility? 

No. Unless you renew your passport with Form DS-82, your application will not be considered by the admission facilities. Receiving facilities will never charge you a $35 renewal fee for your passport. These venues should only charge you a $35 fee if you apply using Form DS-11.

You must send your request for renewal (Form DS-82) by mail. Mailing your DS-82 form may be confusing. In the US, some post offices are also passport acceptance facilities. However, your DS-82 renewal application and supporting documents should not be reviewed by postal employees before you mail them. We suggest that you request USPS to use a trackable delivery system to send out the DS-82 form and support documents. Should not use UPS, FedEx or DHL, since the Post Office (PO) box is the address you have to submit your DS-82 form and supporting documents.

Can I renew my application to a passport agency or center instead of mailing it? 

Yes, but you can only renew yourself in person at a passport agency or center if you have an urgent international trip within 14 days. You must also make an appointment, provide proof of international travel, and pay an additional $60 expedition fee.

Thoughtful smart young businessman looking at laptop

May I renew my passport if it’s still valid?

Sure. Your passport does not have to expire if you want to renew it. If you want to renew both a valid passport card and a passport book, you must submit the documents. Besides instance, if you really can submit a passport book, but you have forgotten your passport card, people can not renew your passport card. If you want to renew a valid card or a book, you must submit a specific document that you want to renew. We advise that you renew your old passport well ahead of any international travel plans, even though it only has a few months’ validities left on it. Many countries require your passport to be valid at least six months after the date of your travel.

When it has expired, may I renew my passport? 

Sure, but the passport must have been issued within the past 15 years. Therefore, you must have the passport in your possession, it cannot be lost, you must have been Sixteen years old or older when the passport was issued, and it must have been issued under your current name, or you must provide clear evidence of the change of name.

Is it probable to use a valid visa with My old passport, once I have revoked my passport?

Hey. Your old passport will not be valid for international travel if you have obtained your new passport. However, if you have connected your old passport to a valid visa, you can still use a valid visa. In this situation, you will fly with both your new passport and your old one.

Will I be given a new passport number when I renew my passport? 

The Passport number on the document will be different from the Passport number on your previous document when you receive your new passport.

what are the passport services you can avail with Click2visas?

Apply Chargeless USA and Nigeria Passport Services
We offer passport assistance service which provides filling of your passport application forms (either new or re-issuance) without any research from your end.

This publication is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to cover every aspect of the topics with which it deals. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content in this publication. Through this blog post you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of FULFILL Holding Pvt limited. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them. The information in this publication does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from FULFILL Holding Pvt limited or its affiliates. We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.