Can I renew my passport online?
A passport is a valid travel document issued by the government of a country to its citizens, which, for international travel purposes, verifies the identity and nationality of the holder. Passports are small booklets, usually containing the name, date of birth, place of birth, expiry date, date of issue, photo, and a number of passports, and signature of the bearer. And when you have to make a long to-do list, traveling is always a pleasure. A passport is one of the things you can never forget because it’s going to be hard to fly abroad if it expires. And if you want to do this procedure online, you should know that getting a New York passport renewal is possible. You can store a huge amount of time if you are going to apply online for your passport renewal.
What does ‘Passport Renewal’ mean?
It means that in order to be able to fly internationally, you must renew your passport. The renewal of a passport is an official procedure that requires you to keep this document available when you arrive in a foreign country to use it as an ID. You should know that most countries ask you to have a passport that has been checked for at least six months. If you fly with an expired passport to some foreign country, you’ll probably have trouble. In NYC, there are two ways to renew your passport, one is in person, and the other is by applying online.
Can I renew my passport online in NYC?
To proceed with the proper renewal of a passport in NYC, you need to fulfill the following requirements:
- At that time, you must have your passport.
- Your (well-preserved) passport is in good condition.
- After you were 16 years old, your passport was released.
- You have your passport under your current name, or with correct documents, you can show that your name has changed.
- These conditions are necessary, regardless of your choice for renewing your passport in person or via an online form.
Can I Renew My Passport Online, and if possible, means what documents are required?
You will need other documentation to apply online once you confirm that you have the original specifications, but don’t worry about this aspect; this documentation is a lot easier to find than you think.
Here’s the list of needed documents:
- A scan of your page with passport details.
- A picture of the passport size. By using My Passport Pictures, you can have this.
- A valid e-mail address where you can obtain a renewed passport.
- Last but not least, a legal payment method is mandatory for you. With a credit/debit card or a PayPal account.
Can I renew my passport online, and if possible, what is the procedure for applying for a passport?
DS-82: Application for US Passport Renewal for Eligible Individuals:
- Based on the details you submit; the Form Filler will pick the right form for you. It may produce a shape that is different from what you expect.
- In compliance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a & 22 C.F.R 51.60(f), if you have been given one, you must include a Social Security Number.
- If you do not have a number for social security, you must submit a document containing the statement, signed and dated, “I declare that the following is correct and correct under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America: the Social Security Administration has never given me a social security number.”
- A passport-book, a passport card, or both documents may be renewed.
- By ticking the ’52 page’ box at the top of the DS-82 without fail, you can request a larger passport book with 52 pages at no additional cost.
- You are expected to complete and sign and date all pages of the document.
Submit your most recent US Passport:
- With your submission, you must apply for your most recent passport.
Include Name Change documents (If Applicable):
You must have a certified copy of the legal name change form if the name you are actually using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport. Examples are:
- Certificate for marriage
- Decree on divorce
- Court-ordered name change paperwork Change Paperwork
- Your name change certificate will be returned from your new passport to you in a separate mailing.
Provide a Photograph:
Connect the application with one picture. Make sure your photo meets all the photo specifications to prevent processing delays. Note, please:
- Glue the picture to the submission.
- Using four staples vertically in the corners, as close as possible to the outer edges.
- Do not bend the picture.
- You should not wear your passport photo with eyeglasses (unless you have a signed doctor’s note that you can include with your application).
Require the payments in the form of a money order method or personal check.
- In the Passport book – the application Fee is 110 US Dollar,
- In Passport Card – the application Fee is 30 US Dollar,
- In Passport book or Card – the application Fee is 140 US Dollars.
- The above application fees are for regular operation.
- Perform checks or money orders which are payable to the “U.S. State Department.”
- As we continue to accept requests, process your payments, and secure your forms and supporting documents.
- Please print the applicant’s full name and birth date on the front of the check or money order.
- Don’t send any cash. We are not liable for money sent through the mail.
Mail Complete Application:
The United States Inside:
- Send your completed application to one of the addresses below, including your most recent passport, name change document (if applicable), photo, and charges. For details on how long it will take to get your passport, please see Processing Times. You could use the United States Postal Service (USPS) to mail your renewal application and mail it if you reside in the United States.
- (If you live in New York, Florida, Illinois, California, Minnesota, or Texas) Routine Service:
Centre for National Passport Processing
Box Post Office 6401555
TX 75064-01555 Irving, TX
Please use: When mailing your passport application from the United States:
- An envelope wide enough without folding to suit the application
- Mailing by the postal service of the United States (USPS)
- A track-able method of distribution. The process used must be capable of shipping to a P.O. Address to package.
Track Your Application Status:
Your application status may be “Not Found” / “In Process” if you call our National Passport Information center or check our Online Passport Status System after applying or renewing it. “Not Found” means that your application is in transit to one of our agencies and centers. “In Process” means that your request is with the State Department, and we will review it when our workers return to our office in phases. To learn more about monitoring your passport, go to our Application Status page.
Can I upgrade to an acceptance facility?
No. If you renew your passport with a Form DS-82, your application will not be approved by the approval facilities. For renewing your passport, acceptance facilities should never charge you a $35 fee. Only if you are applying using Form DS-11 can these locations charge you a $35 fee? In your application for renewal (Form DS-82), you must mail it yourself. It can be frustrating to mail your Form DS-82 as some post offices are also passport acceptance facilities. However, your Form DS-82 renewal application and supporting documentation should not be checked by postal employees until your mail it. We recommend that you ask USPS to use a trackable delivery method to give me your Form DS-82 and supporting documents. Do not use the service of UPS, FedEx, or DHL because a Post Office (PO) box is the address that you need to deliver your Form DS-82 and supporting documents to.
May I use the DS-82 to get a passport card if I have a passport book already?
Yes. If you have a book for your passport and you are entitled to use Form DS-82, even if it is your first passport card, you can apply for a passport card to be renewed by post. Find out more about this U.S. passport card.
If it’s still valid, can I renew my passport?
Yes. For you to renew it, your passport does not have to expire. If both a valid passport book and a passport card are to be updated, you must present both documents. For example, if you are able to request a passport book, but you have lost your passport card, the passport card cannot be renewed. We suggest renewing your passport well in advance of any scheduled international trip, even though it is only valid for a few months. Some countries require your passport to be valid for at least six months after your travel date.
Is it possible to renew my passport if it has expired?
Yes, but within the last 15 years, the passport must have been released. In addition, you must have a passport in your possession, it cannot be lost, you must be 16 years of age or older when a passport is issued, and it must have been issued in your current name, or you must have legal evidence of a change of name.
Is it possible to use a valid visa with my old passport once I have renewed my passport?
Yes. Your old passport is not valid for international travel until you obtain your new passport. However, you can also use a new visa if your old passport is linked to a valid visa. In this scenario, you must fly with both your new and your old passport.
How will my completed passport book and/or passport card be sent to me?
Passport Book Only: In two different mailings, you can obtain your newly issued passport and your citizenship papers. If you don’t receive a second mailing within ten business days of receiving the first, please contact the National Passport Information Center (NPIC). We can submit your passport book through a delivery service for 1-2 days.
Passport card only: In two different mailings, you can obtain your newly issued passport card and your citizenship documents. If you don’t receive a second mailing within ten business days of receiving the first, please contact NPIC. Everything we submit is a passport card via First Class Mail. Via 1-2-day delivery services, we do not send cards.
Passport Book and Card: Three different mailings may be sent to you; one with your citizenship papers, one with your newly issued passport book, and one with your newly issued passport card. If you don’t receive the second or third mailing within ten business days of the previous mailing, please contact NPIC.
Upon renewing my passport, will I get a new passport number?
The number on the document would vary from the number on your previous passport when you obtain your new passport.
Note, please: Update your DHS Trusted Traveler account with details about your new passport.