US passport renewal form – All you need to know
Government paperwork isn’t always written in the most user-friendly way, and passport renewal forms are no exception. Unfortunately, if you fill it out incorrectly or fail to submit the required documentation, your new passport may be delayed.
There are many details available about what to know when applying for a US passport for the first time, which is a brain cracking task in some ways, renewing your passport can be just as tricky. Passports are generally active for 10 years, but children under sixteen are only issued for five years. With a bit of forethought, you can streamline the process and avoid any potential stumbling blocks.
There are several more reasons to renew your passport because your old one is expired, if it is lost or stolen, you have changed your name, or you have to correct a fault. Please keep in mind that your new passport will have a different passport number than your old one.
Here Click2Visas explains an overview of the US passport renewal form.
Eligibility to apply for US passport renewal
Some people are not eligible to renew their passports by mail. Before you begin filling out the passport renewal form DS-82, go over the checklist on the first page to ensure that you are eligible for a passport renewal. You must meet all of the following requirements:
- If your passport is not misplaced or stolen, you can submit it with your Passport application.
- Your present passport was issued less than 15 years ago, shortly after your 16th birthday.
- If appropriate, you should submit a legal documentation (such as a marriage certificate or court order) to support a name change request.
To be more specific, your passport must be in good condition. “Normal wear and tear” is acceptable, but what constitutes “normal wear and tear” is left to the discretion of the Department of State. If you have any concerns about your passport condition, you should apply in person using Form DS-11.
How to fill US passport renewal application form?
You need to use the DS-82 form to renew your passport. Form DS-82 is very straightforward: it’s six pages long, with four pages of instructions and two pages that must be mailed or handed in.
Standard information such as your name and address are necessary. Still, any applicant who has legally changed his or her name for any reason should produce proof proving this so that the information on the new passport may be updated.
If you wish to expedite your application, you’ll also need your prior passport number and expiration date, as well as any travel arrangements.
On page 4 of the instructions, read the part titled “Acts or Conditions” carefully. You must write a separate explanatory statement and submit it to the passport renewal form if any of these conditions apply to you.
The requirement to attach a statement will not necessarily prevent you from obtaining a passport. But it will be taken into account by the Department of State while processing your application.
Click2Visas services on your passport renewal
- Please visit our website and share the necessary details in our customized form, DS-82.
- Visit to the Click2Visas widget and choose the option “Passport”.
- Log in it and complete the online passport renewal form and upload your photo and passport as per the instructions given.
- You will get your physical docket at your doorway. The physical docket has a filled passport renewal form, a printed and stapled passport photo, and a USPS envelope.
- You need to take the completed DS-82 form from the Envelope, sign it and date.
- You can make bank checks or money orders payable to the “US Department of State.” for $110. If you choose Expedited service, it costs an additional $60.
- When mailing, please write “Expedite” on the outside Envelope. Furthermore, TO ENSURE MINIMUM PROCESSING TIME for Expedited Applications, Passport Services recommends overnight delivery when submitting.
- Also, include the appropriate postage fee for return overnight delivery of the newly issued passport book.
- Please print your complete name and date of birth on the front of the check or money order. Do not send Cash. The State Department is not responsible if you send. Also, you cannot pay online for passport services at this time.
- Enclose your present passport and name change documents if applicable.
- Put all together in the Envelope and send it to the address mentioned.
Troubleshooters in Application
- Check whether there is a tick in the documents check box at the top of the application’s first page.
- Please sign at the bottom of the first page.
- The information requested on the form is necessary for the processing of your application. Don’t skip questions. The form, on the other hand, inquires as to when and where you intend to travel. To renew your present passport, you do not need to make any specific travel plans. It is acceptable to say “Not applicable” in this situation.
Along with your passport renewal form, attach the following:
- Your most recent passport.
- One passport photograph.
- A personal bank check or money order for the required amount made payable to the “Department of State.”
- Include legal documentation to support your request when you need to change your name on your new passport.
If you applied for regular service, you should allow at least 18 weeks (includes up to 12 weeks processing and 6 weeks mailing) for your new passport. However, you’ll have to pay an extra $60 for expedited service to the Department of State if you want it in 10 weeks (includes up to 6 weeks processing and 4 weeks mailing).
You can book a passport appointment at one of the country’s 24 regional passport agency offices if you don’t have sufficient time. This can be a nightmare, logistically speaking, especially if you don’t have one close by. A private company, such as Click2Visas, can make the process much quicker and easier for you.
How can Click2Visas experts serve you?
Click2Visas Service Fee – Have you ever compared the service fees charged by various Passport agencies to Click2visas? You could be surprised. Click2visas service fee is significantly lower than those of competitors. You can compare and confirm your findings yourself.
Click2Visas safety – We have put in place good safety and security systems. We are confident that passport information is highly private, and we must provide the highest level of data protection to ensure this. We keep your documents completely secure.
Click2Visas Customer Service – We provide excellent customer service 24 hours a day, seven days a week—some of the best you’ve ever encountered. Our assistance is available to you at all times until you successfully receive your passport.
Click2Visas Brand – We have been successful in the passport and visa industry for over 5 years. Thankfully, we have seen many satisfied customers who have applied for a passport or a visa with us. We are so optimistic that once you have experienced our service, you will always return with joy.