How to renew passport at Post Office?
Passport has a validity period; it does not last forever. When it first arrives in the mail, its 10-year viability seems like an eternity, but time passes, and its expiration date approaches. The unfortunate news is that you cannot renew a passport at a passport acceptance office, including the post office. The great news is that there is a much simpler option available to you.
New York is unique in millions of ways, so it is not too disappointing to know that the process of renovating your passport is the same as in any other state. It is the federal law, not the state law, that sets out rules and procedures.
Renewal in a passport acceptance facility or a post office is not an option when renewing a passport. Only first-time passport applications are accepted at the passport renewal NYC post office.
You do not usually have to renew a passport in an acceptance office, such as the post office. Just use the expedited renewal-by-mail procedure to post the DS-82 application and the photograph, the former passport, and the State Department fee instead. A month or so later, the new passport arrives by mail.
How early can I renew my passport before it expires?
As long as you are over the age of 16, your passport is valid for ten years from the date it is issued. There isn’t a limit to how early you can renew it, but the expense involved means you won’t want to renew it until it’s almost time to expire.
You also cannot renew a minor’s (child’s) passport. A minor passport is issued to applicants aged 15 and under and has a 5-year validity period. It is treated as a new passport each time.
On the other hand, adult passports can be renewed whenever you want as long as they are not damaged and are less than five years old. The standard processing time for a passport is currently 18 weeks (includes up to 12 weeks processing and 6 weeks mailing on front and back end). However, you can speed up your passport renewal with options to expedite it in 12 weeks (includes up to 6 weeks processing and 6 weeks mailing on front and back end).
How can I renew my passport online?
As previously stated, renewing a passport at a post office is not an option. Due to many US travelers, even though the passport procedure is time-consuming and costly, people don’t have much choice because traveling to a majority of countries is not possible without a passport.
As a result, for passport renewal, the US government devised an improved method that expedites the entire process – renewal by mail.
The renewal process by mail entails mailing a form (DS-82), a new passport photo, and an old passport to the State Department, along with a fee. This renewal process can take up to 18 weeks. Renewal by mail is only possible if all of the following statements are true:
- The original (expired) passport is with you.
- A passport that has expired is not harmed.
- It was given when a person was not a minor (16 years or older).
- It is in your present name – there was no official name change.
If any of those statements is false, you will have to renew the hard way. In fact, the procedure keeps track of the steps you had to take when you first obtained a passport. You must complete form DS-11, provide all required evidence (including proof of identity and citizenship), obtain a new photo, and pay the fee. If your name is changed, you have to provide sufficient proof.
When should I choose to walk in to a passport acceptance facility?
You must either arrange an appointment or find a passport acceptance facility that accepts walk-ins. The agent will examine your paperwork and photograph, administer the swearing, observe you sign the application, and take your payment.
When using a renewal form (DS-82) rather than applying for a new passport (DS-11), a person is not required to include as many documents as they would with a DS-11. Renewal only necessitates submitting an old passport, a new passport photo, and a passport fee.
Suppose a person changes their name, a court order proving that a name change is necessary. A DS-82 must be sent to the Department of State, and a renovated passport is sent in a month time frame.
What to do about a lost, damaged, or robbed passport?
For persons unable to renew their passport by e-mail because of unexpected reasons, the passport should be reapplied as it first applied. If your passport is missing or stolen, you must immediately inform passport services before someone tries to use your passport.
- If a passport is damaged, you must follow a different procedure. Passports that have been damaged must be surrendered when applying for a replacement. Replacement can be done both online and through a paper application form.
- Unfortunately, you have misplaced your passport and are ineligible to apply for a passport renewal. So, you must replace the passport in person, just as you would for the first time. You must complete both forms DS-11 and DS-64.
- If your trip is less than four weeks away, you might be able to apply for a replacement passport in person at a passport agency or center. If your trip date is more than four weeks away, go to the passport acceptance facility. You must schedule an appointment for both.
How can Click2Visas help you with Passport Renewals?
As you are aware, applying online through government websites can be a stressful and time-consuming process. Please see the simple 4 steps for renewing your passport below,
- Visit to the Click2Visas widget and choose the option “Passport”.
- Log in it and complete the online passport renewal form and upload your photo and passport as per the instructions given.
- You will get your physical docket at your doorway. The physical docket has a filled passport renewal form, a printed and stapled passport photo, and a USPS envelope.
- Date and sign the form and you have to post it in the nearby USPS mailbox. Enclose payment check or money order, related documents.
The customer service at Click2visa is excellent and very friendly. We have implemented stringent security measures, and your information is completely secure with us. We know from experience that obtaining a passport can be difficult, but with the help of our experts, we make it very simple for you. Interestingly, our service fee is significantly lower when compared to other passport agents.
what are the passport services you can avail with Click2visas?
Chargeless USA and Nigeria Passport Services
We offer passport assistance service which provides filling of your passport application forms (either new or re-issuance) without any research from your end.