Documents required for US Passport Renewal

3 years

Your passport is your travel authorization. It permits you to enter other countries and return to the United States. Getting a passport is a simple procedure, but you must have a few things for that. You’ll find details about passport requirements so you can travel all over the globe. The general passport renewal documents US are below, along with a brief explanation for each.

Documents required for US Passport Renewal

You must be a US citizen.

Passports are for applicants who are either citizens of the United States or non-citizen nationals. We regularly receive emails from green card holders inquiring about how to apply for a US passport.

This is not possible unless they first go through the process of becoming naturalized US citizens. Unless the person is a non-citizen national, US citizenship must be proved to obtain a US passport.

Fill out the relevant application form.

Each service necessitates the submission of a separate passport application form. You must fill out the appropriate form completely. Failure to respond to any questions may cause a delay.

Nonetheless, an applicant should never knowingly provide false information. Each form comes with instructions to guide you through the process. The applications are brief and usually take only a few minutes to complete. When filling out the printed form, you must use black ink.

Click2Visas has a online passport renewal form. After you complete the form, our experts will double check the accuracy. Click2Visas has a high level of accuracy and meets government standards.

Submit all necessary relevant documents

Each service requires its own application form, as well as its own set of supporting documents. Documents most commonly requested include,

Proof of US citizenship – To receive a US passport, you must be a citizen of the United States and provide proof of citizenship when you apply.

  • Birth Certificate from the United States – This must be an original or certified copy of the long-form certificate with your parents’ names issued by the municipality where you were born. Birth certificates issued by hospitals are not accepted.
  • Previous US Passport – Both current and expired passports are acceptable. If your appearance has significantly changed since your passport was issued, you may be required to submit a different form of proof of US citizenship.
  • Original or certified copy of a US naturalization certificate.
  • If you were born abroad to a US parent, you could submit an original Consular Record of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Report of Birth (Form DS-1350).
  • File Search – If you previously received a passport but lost it or stolen it, you may ask for a file search at the Passport Agency. You must submit this form as well as an additional $150 fee.

Proof of identification – It is necessary to provide proper identification. A naturalization certificate, a previously issued US passport, a valid driver’s license, a current government identification card, or a current military identification card are all acceptable forms of identification.

Photocopy of ID – When you apply, you must bring your identification and a photocopy of the front and back of your identification.

Passport photo – Almost any professional photo service can take your passport photo, but it must be two inches by two inches in full color and taken in front of a white background. From the chin bottom to the head top, your head should measure 25 to 35 millimeters. The photograph should also be no older than six months old and taken from the front.

Name change document – If you have officially changed your name since your last travel document was issued, you should apply for a name change on your passport as well. Several factors determine the passport application and supporting documents that you will submit.

  • Marriage Certificate – Marriage is one of the most common reasons for requesting a passport name change. In this case, the document needed as evidence is a marriage certificate. There is usually a section on the marriage license where you can specify any name changes. This is not a requirement in all US states. Before marriage, some marriage certificates will only include names. The marriage certificate is substantial proof of your name change if it includes both your maiden name and your husband’s surname. Some states provide both a “long” and a “short” marriage record. The “short” form is typically used for informational purposes only and should never be used for official purposes. A passport name change requires the “long” form.
  • Divorce Decree – A person who has divorced and taken on a new legal name may submit the original or a certified copy of the divorce decree as proof. The document may have a different name based on the state, such as Dissolution of Marriage Records. Certified copies are acquired through the vital records bureau in some states, while they can be gained through the county, city, or town clerk’s office in others.
  • Adoption Decree – A Decree of Adoption is a legal agreement signed by a judge. It is a declaration that the adoption process has been completed. This document forms the relationship between the parent and child. The new passport bears full legal responsibility for the child’s physical well-being. This document determines and states the child’s new name.
  • Court Order – Individuals who want to legally change their names for reasons other than marriage, divorce, or adoption can do so by requesting a court order. Typically, the procedure entails filling out an application and paying a fee at a county clerk’s office. In some states, the applicant is required to publish legal notices in local newspapers. This procedure could take up to three months to complete.

If additional documents are mandated, you will be informed by mail. The instructions for each passport service include a list of approved primary and secondary documents. If you want to prevent delays in the process, pay close attention to the specifications of each document.

Pay your passport fees

Passport fees are both necessary and optional. The number and amount of fees vary depending on the type of passport service you require and how rapidly you need your travel document. You can pay through Bank Checks (personal, certified, cashier’s, traveler’s) and money orders payable to the “US Department of State.”

  • Routine Service – $110.
  • Expedited Service – $110 + 60 = $170.
  • 1-2 Day Delivery (after processing) – $17.56.

Click2Visas and your Passport Renewal

We guarantee passport renewal services, which include:

  • Tracking your Passport on behalf of you.
  • Prompt assistance via email, chat, or phone.
  • On-time delivery.
  • Live customer chat assistance for 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • Excellent Customer Service.
This publication is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to cover every aspect of the topics with which it deals. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content in this publication. Through this blog post you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of FULFILL Holding Pvt limited. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them. The information in this publication does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from FULFILL Holding Pvt limited or its affiliates. We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.