How Long Does It Take to Renew a Passport?
3 months ago
Flying to another country is great, but we need a passport with a clear date of arrival and departure. Often, though, we are not informed of the passport’s expiry dates, and when we know that, it already has an expiry date or is about to expire. In that case, we are looking for various options to renew it, but how long does it take to renew a passport? Given this question, long delays are to be expected for routine passport processing. If you wish to renew your passport as a matter of urgency, you may request the rush process.
Why should I get my passport renewed?
You must renew your passport any time it expires, or if you wish, you can also renew your passport several months in advance to prevent any hassle when you travel to another country.
How should I know if I’m eligible to renew my US passport?
If you are interested in renewing your passport, we will list the following questions:
- Your new passport remains undamaged??
- Was your US passport issued after your 16th birthday?
- Has your new passport been issued under 15 years ago?
- Do your existing passport names still match your existing names, or have an official document validating new names for your changed name?
If YES is your response, you may apply for the renewal of this passport. Otherwise, you can’t renew your passport if you don’t comply with the above.
What are the documents that I must have to apply for the US passport renewal?
To renew your US passport, you need to have the following documents.
- DS-82 form: You can print it and fill it out manually or use the Passport Application Wizard to complete and print the form online. While applications can be filled in electronically, they cannot be filed online. You may also receive a DS-82 form from a local passport acceptance institution or regional agency.
- Your most recent US passport.
- Digital Colour photo: Colour photo with a white or off-white background, taken within the last six months
- Names change proof: If your name is different from that of your old passport. A marriage Certificate or Court order can be submitted as proof.
- Payment methods: Check or money order.
How long does it take to renew a passport?
The processing times for applications for passports vary year-round. The processing time to renew your passport under routine processing will take long delays. Although, in an emergency, there is a way to get a passport. You can check your US passport renewal application status online 7-10 days after application.
What is the cost of getting a US passport renewed?
Fees for renewal or obtaining a new passport depend on a variety of factors, including:
- If only you get a passport stamp.
- If you opt for fast-track service.
The relevant passport fee and execution charge are non-refundable. They are legally obtained and maintained even if a passport is not issued. If You are residing or visiting outside the United States, you need to contact your nearby US embassy/consulate to check what payment forms they will recognize. This applies to passport renewals or new passport applications.
What are the steps for an expedited service request for US passport renewal?
- Make an appointment with your nearest US passport agency or Appoint through the National Passport Information Centre. You may either: call the automated 24-hour appointment scheme at 1-877-487-2778; TDD / TTY: 1-888-874-7793 or use the online passport appointment scheme of the State Department, submit your US passport renewal application in person.
- If your journey is not within 2-3 weeks, but you need your passport earlier than the normal 6-8 weeks, you can request a fast service. Register for prompt service by mail or Register expedited service in person at a local passport acceptance facility. Expedited service costs an additional $60, plus any delivery charges.
- Upon appointment by your passport service, apply your application in person.
Can I use my valid Visa from my old passport once I have renewed my passport?
If your previous passport is still linked to a valid visa, you can use it to avoid any inconvenience as long as you also carry the new passport with you.
Any tips on when to renew the US passport?
- Renew your passport about nine months before the passport expires.
- Check the expiry date of the US passport, as some countries require that passports should be valid for at least 6 months after travel. Some airlines even won’t let you board if you don’t meet this requirement.
- If you travel frequently, check the “52-page” box at the top of your passport application to receive a more massive passport book with 52 pages.
Can a minor aged under 18 years apply for a US passport?
The state department has rules that prevent children from issuing US passports without both parents’ consent. It also has services to safeguard minors in custody disputes. This works to stop a parent from taking a child abroad without the permission of the other parent. All children must apply for or reapply in person for a US passport at a passport acceptance facility.
- Kids under 16 require parental consent, and their parents require adult consent:
- Parents must present with their children at the time of application submission.
- Parents should Co-sign the US passport application.
- 16 and 17-year-olds who apply for a passport can do so on their own if they have their identification documents. A parent must do one of the following:
- Send a signed, notarized declaration that they know their child is searching for a passport.
- Parents should attend the appointment with their children.
If you’re living overseas, contact a US embassy or consulate in the country you’re in for information on applying for your child’s passport.
Where else I can able to find more details about the topic “how long does it take to renew a passport”?
If you like to know more information on the topic, we will be very glad to serve you regarding this and you can find some of our useful blogs.