Overview of Visa for Rwanda and Customs Information
IMMIGRATION AND VISAS
All travelers require a passport, with the exception of:
1. ‘Kinderausweis’ passengers, a German identification document was given to children less than 16 years old. When traveling unaccompanied, written authorization of the parents must be included, showing a contact address in Rwanda.
2. Travelers with documents that are given to persons without citizenship or nationality.
Passports and alternative documents, or any of these, must be valid on arrival.
Burundian people will be deported without proper entry papers.
1. Until arrival: Travelers are kindly requested to contact Rwandan’s nearest department.
2. Upon arrival: a visa shall be granted, if necessary, to travelers from a country where Rwanda is not diplomatically represented, provided that the traveler has applied for a visa via the website (www.migration.gov.rw) and has the assurance that the visa will be granted upon arrival.
3. Upon arrival: if appropriate, Danish citizens shall be given a visa for a stay of not more
than three months as long as they have a letter of invitation or reference.
A visa must be carried by all travelers except for the following:
1. Citizens of Rwanda.
2. Travellers with a valid re-entry permit or a residence permit issued by Rwanda.
3. Travelers who stay for no more than 90 days, given that they are:
- Travelers with passports provided by Hong Kong (China Special Administrative Region).
- Citizens of Burundi, Congo (Kinshasa), Kenya, Singapore, Canada, Sweden, Germany, Tanzania, Mauritius, United States of America, Saudi Arabia, and Uganda;
- British passport passengers, irrespective of the passport endorsement related to their nationality.
TWOV (Transit without Visa):-
For travelers continuing their journey to a third country on the same day without leaving the airport, TWOV is allowable.
CUSTOMS AND FOREIGN EXCHANGE
Travelers aged 18 years old or more are allowed free import of:
- To the limit. 250 grams of items made from tobacco;
- 1 liter (incl. liquor) of spirits and 2 liters of wine;
- The max. 0,5 liters of perfume and/or eau de toilette, of which 0,25 liters may not be more than perfume;
- Personal impacts;
- Other products up to a max. USD 500. – Or equivalent, respectively.
Exporting the Game Trophy is only permitted with the explicit permission of the Game Department.
There are household animals permitted to enter. As for cats and dogs, they must be accompanied by an official veterinary health certificate that can be issued in their home country. Dogs should be vaccinated against Flury LEP (rabies) and Flury HEP for cats. Pet animals may enter as traveler’s luggage, as cargo, or in the cabin.
Baggage Clearance regulations:-
On arrival in Rwanda, the traveler’s luggage should be cleared at the first airport of entry.
Exemptions: Passengers can import firearms and ammunition, subject to a permit issued by the Rwandan Foreign Ministry. They must be brought as check-in baggage and reported on arrival at the Special Airports Police Unit (SAPU).Luggage of transit travelers whose destination is outside Rwanda.
When leaving the airport, all travelers are not allowed to pay any airport fees.
Currency Import regulations:-
Importing local currency (Rwandan franc-RWF) up to RWF 5,000 is not limited, but importing foreign currency is not limited as long as the amounts imported are declared.
Currency Export regulations:-
Exporting local currency (Rwandan Franc-RWF) up to RWF 5,000 and foreign currencies up to the amounts imported and declared is not limited.
Arms and Ammunition regulations:-
Passengers can import firearms and ammunition, subject to a permit issued by the Rwandan Foreign Ministry. They must be brought as check-in baggage and reported on arrival at the Special Airports Police Unit (SAPU).