When and How to Renew your Passport

By support@click2visas.com
1 year

Like most Americans, are you eager to travel internationally? The wait is over; more than half of the world’s countries are open for US tourists. And most of the European countries are opening their border slowly.

Because of high demand, the State Department extended the processing time to 18 weeks. So don’t put off renewing your passport until the last minute.

Before your international travel, you must renew your passport if it has expired. Do not book any international flight until you have a valid passport; The number on your new US passport will be different from the number on your old one.

When and how to Renew your Passport

You can renew your US passport by mail.You do not need to visit a passport agency or a post office to renew your passport.

If your passport is damaged, stolen, or lost, or if you need to change your name or personal information, you must follow different procedures.

Read this blog further and know who can renew, when and how to renew passport.

Who Can Renew the Passport by Mail?

Unfortunately, not everyone is eligible to renew their passport by mail. State Department announced the eligibility criteria. If you fall under the criteria, you can apply by mail. Make sure you’re eligible to apply for a passport renewal by mail before you start with the process.

If your answer is ‘Yes’ to all the below questions, you can apply for renewal via mail.

  • Do you have your US current passport with you to submit with your application?
  • Your passport is undamaged other than normal tear and wear.
  • Passport was issued to you when you were 16 or older?
  • Was issued within the last 15 years?
  • Was issued in your current name? or you can document your name change

If your answer is ‘No’ to any one of the above conditions, you can’t apply for renewal by mail. Instead, you must visit the passport acceptance facility in person to renew your passport.

Click2Visas offers a US passport renewal service at a low service cost. We are one of the most secure and trusted companies in the industry. We have assisted many customers all over the world.

Raise a passport renewal request with us and leave the rest to us. We will help you to get your passport renewed on time.

When to Renew your US Passport?

If your US passport is about to expire or has recently expired, you should apply for a passport renewal. You must renew your passport within five years of the expiration date. If you wait any longer, you will have to go through the same process as a first-time passport applicant.

Most people wait until their passport is about to expire, usually within 6-12 months. However, there are a few reasons why you might need to renew your passport sooner rather than later. You can renew your passport early if:

  • You have run out of blank pages for a new visa in your passport.
  • If you have legally changed your name.
  • Your passport has visible signs of wear, such as curled page edges.
  • Your appearance has changed dramatically since the issuance of your passport, such as due to extreme weight loss.

Why is it so essential to renew your passport now?

Passport processing delays have increased to 18 weeks, according to a warning sent by the State Department. It also warned that due to the extraordinary volume of mail and other COVID-19 implications on the Postal Service, delays in receiving passport applications might occur. COVID-19 has also compelled its agencies and centers to provide extremely limited in-person services.

It all makes sense when you add it all up. So start renewing your passport now, even if it doesn’t expire until next year.

Even if it hasn’t expired, it may not be valid for certain travel

Your passports should be valid for six months beyond the dates of your journey in some countries.

Even if your passport is valid until 2022, if it expires within six months, you may not be able to travel internationally in 2021 end. This is because some airlines will refuse to let you board if your passport is about to expire.

The expedited renewal cost will eat your trip budget.

If you are ready to spend more, you can pay an extra $60 for expedited service to get your passport renewed in 12 weeks (rather than waiting for 18 weeks). Even yet, 12 weeks isn’t exactly a quick turnaround. Moreover, if you have more family members who require the service, multiply the cost by two or three;it’s quite a lot.

You could also use a US passport to fly domestically (unless you have a Real ID)

Yet if you have no plans to travel abroad in the foreseeable future, a passport may be required for domestic travel.

Domestic flights will require a Real ID from Oct. 1. Also, you’ll need to go to your state’s driver’s licensing bureau to get Real ID identification.

However, if you provide other approved identification at the airport, such as a passport or passport card, you can avoid a trip to the DMV for a new license. It may be easier to have a valid passport and utilize it for all domestic and foreign travel, depending on how long your local DMV queues are.

You have the time and energy to deal with it right now

Although the CDC does not advocate travel to most countries at this time, there is nothing wrong with fantasizing about it. Why not add to your excitement by completing your passport paperwork?

Allow your thoughts to wander while you plod through it, dreaming of the French cheese you’ll inhale once you get in Paris.

Fill out a passport renewal application in Click2Visas. And enjoy the perks of day dreaming about your vacation. You won’t have to sweat about renewing your passport when the time comes to travel on it.

How to renew your US passport by Mail:

In the above headings we saw about who and when you can renew your US passport. The next question that comes to our mind is ‘Where can I renew my passport’. The answer is given below

  • Fill out passport renewal Form DS-82. We have a customized form on Click2Visas that will take only a few minutes to complete.
  • Once we finished the process of your request, you will receive a physical docket at your doorway. The physical docket has a filled passport renewal form, a printed and stapled passport photo, and a USPS envelope.
  • Sign the form.
  • In the USPS envelope, place the signed Form DS-82, previously issued passport, and fee payment in checks or money order.
  • If applicable, include a legal name change document.
  • Post the envelope in the nearby USPS mailbox.

Passport Renewal-Related Questions:

If I apply by mail, would I get my previous passport back?

Yes, you will receive your old passport book or passport card in a separate mail.

Is it possible to renew my passport card by mail using the DS-82 form?

Yes. If you have a passport book and are eligible to use Form DS-82, you may apply for a passport card renewal by mail.

Can I use my valid visa in my old passport even though my passport has been renewed?

Yes. Your old passport will no longer be valid for international travel once you receive your new passport. However, if your old US passport is linked to a valid visa, you can continue to use it. In this case, you must travel with both your new and old passports.

I am behind on my child support payments. Can I get a new US passport?

If you owe 2,500 USD or more in child support, you are ineligible for a US passport. Before applying for a passport, you must pay your child support arrears to the appropriate state child support enforcement agency.

This publication is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to cover every aspect of the topics with which it deals. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content in this publication. Through this blog post you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of FULFILL Holding Pvt limited. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them. The information in this publication does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from FULFILL Holding Pvt limited or its affiliates. We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.