Click2visas Logo


Airlines Baggage Policy
Car rental
Flight Booking
Hotel Booking
Travel Insurance

Overview of Mexico visa and Foreign exchange policy

4 months


Passport Requirements

All travelers need a passport, except for the following:

1. Citizens of Mexico with one of the following documents:

– A certificate of nationality issued by a Mexican consulate abroad; or

– A certificate of military duty; or

– A voter’s certificate; or

– A birth certificate with consular registration; or

– An expired ‘Matricula Consular.’

2. Citizens of Mexico residing in the United States of America may also enter Mexico with their Permanent Resident or Resident Alien Card (Form no. I-551).

3. Citizens of Canada with a certificate of Canadian citizenship.

4. Citizens of Canada or the United States of America with an original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by their country or state.

5. Citizens of the United States of America with a voter’s registration card.

6. Citizens of the United States of America with an original or certified copy of birth registration papers issued by their country or state.

7. Travelers with a United States ‘Re-Entry Permit’ (Form no. I-327) along with a Permanent Resident Alien Card (Form no. I-551) provided they are citizens of Cuba.

8. Travelers with identity documents and travel documents for people without nationality or citizenship issued in Canada, European Economic Area member countries, the United States of America, and Switzerland provided they are coming for a tourist visit of no more than 60 days and possessing a permit obtained from a foreign representation of Mexico before arrival.

9. Travelers with identity and travel documents for refugees and people without nationality or citizenship provided they have Formed no. ‘FM3,’ except when they are traveling for touristic purposes, issued by a Mexican representation in the country of residence.

10. Travelers with a certificate of application for exit issued by a Mexican consulate to people without nationality or citizenship residing outside Mexico.

11. Travelers with an identity and travel document issued in Mexico to people without nationality or citizenship residing in Mexico.

12. Travelers with a Seaman Book provided they are traveling on duty.

13. Travelers with ‘Kinderausweis,’ a German identity document issued to children.

14. Travelers with a ‘Laissez-Passer’ issued by the United Nations provided they have a visa.

15. Travelers with an authorization issued to citizens of Nicaragua.

16. Travelers with an authorization issued by a Mexican embassy or consulate to citizens of Cuba. Those travelers have proof of residence and are foreign residents of Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Belize, Bermuda, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, a European Union member country Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Republic of Korea, Liechtenstein, Monaco, New Zeeland, Nicaragua, Panama, Puerto Rico, San Marino, Singapore, Switzerland, Uruguay or Venezuela; the authorization must contain a stamp from a Mexican consulate or embassy.

Mexico flag 3d rendering on blue sky building background

Document Validity

On arrival, passports and alternative documents, or any of them, must be valid.

a. Expired passports issued to citizens of Canada and Mexico are accepted.

Additional information

The government’s official photo ID must accompany documents without a photo issued to Canadian citizens and the United States of America. Children aged 17 years old or younger are not required to have a separate photo ID.


1. Mexican children aged 17 years old or younger must have either:

– Their passport; or

– Other documents accepted as proof of citizenship.

New Mexican passports issued to children include observation number 4, which authorizes its bearer to leave and return to Mexico without one or both parents. Old passports used to have observation number 4, including explaining it, but the new passports do not include this explanation.

2. Children aged less than 14 years old should be met by an adult when traveling alone.

Visa Issuance

Before arrival: Travelers are kindly requested to contact the nearest representation of Mexico.

Visa Exemptions

All travelers must hold a visa except the following:

1. Citizens of Mexico.

2. Travelers with form no. ‘FM2’ or ‘FM3’ issued to foreign residents of Mexico.

3. Travelers staying for no more than 180 days on condition that they are:

3.1. Citizens of Andorra, Australia, Austria, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Republic of Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Palau Islands, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad & Tobago, the United States of America, Uruguay, and Venezuela provided they have service passports;

3.2. Travelers with standard British passports endorsed ‘British Citizen,’ ‘British National (Overseas),’ or ‘British Subject.’

3.3. Citizens of People’s Republic of China provided they have passports issued by Hong Kong (A Special Administrative Region of China) or by Macao (A Special Administrative Region of China);

3.4. Travelers with diplomatic, official, or consular passports provided they are citizens of Guatemala or Panama.

3.5. Travelers with diplomatic, official, or service passports provided they are citizens of Algeria, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Greece, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Morocco, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovak Republic, Switzerland, Trinidad & Tobago, or Venezuela;

3.6. Travelers with diplomatic or service passports issued to citizens of the People’s Republic of China, Estonia, or the Slovak Republic.

3.7. Travelers with diplomatic or special passports issued to citizens of Tunisia.

3.8. Travelers with diplomatic passports issued to citizens of Andorra, Belize, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Honduras, Latvia, Turkey, or Ukraine.

3.9. Citizens of El Salvador, Jamaica, Malaysia with official or diplomatic passports; or a consular stamp in their passports.

3.10. Foreign residents of Canada with a Canadian Permanent Resident Alien Card.

3.11. Foreign residents of the United States of America with a Permanent Resident Alien Card (Form no. I-551);

3.12. Foreign residents of Japan with proof of permanent residence.

3.13. Foreign residents of Great Britain or one of the Schengen States with a permanent residence permit.

4. Travelers staying for no more than 90 days provided they have diplomatic passports issued to Azerbaijan citizens.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa)

1. TWOV is allowed for travelers to begin their trip to a foreign world, entering and leaving from the same airport within 24 hours on the same or first connecting flight without any further intermediate landings in Mexican territory, as soon as they have onward tickets and all appropriate documentation for their next trip. Travelers are not able to depart the terminal. Staying in the transit region is subject to the control of customs airlines.

2. In the airport transit area, no hotel accommodation is available.

Additional information

1. Visitors must have a Migratory Form for Businesspersons and Investors (FMTTV) issued to each traveler against no charge by carriers, travel agencies, or on arrival.

2. A valid Mexican visa in an expired passport is accepted, provided the traveler also has a valid passport.


Travelers who do not respect entry regulations will be deported to their home country at the transporting carrier’s expense. Besides, the transporting carrier will have to pay fines starting from USD 1800.


Import regulations

Travelers aged more than 18 years old are allowed free import of:

1. 250 grams of pipe tobacco, 400 cigarettes or 50 cigars

2. Three liters of wine or alcoholic drinks

3. A moderate amount of perfume, eau-de-cologne, and lotions for personal use.

4. A photo, movie, or video camera in addition to one additional camera for travelers residing outside Mexico.

5. 12 rolls of film or video cassettes.

6. Goods up to USD 300.

Export regulations

Travelers are allowed to free export of tobacco products and alcoholic drinks. Exporting archaeological antiquities is prohibited.

Crew members customs regulations

Crew members are allowed goods for personal use only.

Arms and Ammunition regulations:

Import permit and declaration form are required for firearms and ammunition, to be obtained from Secretaria de la Defensa Nacional (Secretary of National Defense), Estado Mayor 6a. Seccion, Lomas de Sotelo, Mexico DF Airlines must contact the customs authorities at least 24 hours in advance (in writing). You will find more information at: Http:/

Flora and Wild Fauna:

It is forbidden or limited under CITES to import some endangered plant species, live animals, and their products.  Please check CITES for more details:


– All pets require a certificate of veterinary health issued no longer than five days before arrival.

– Dogs and cats also need a rabies vaccination certificate.

– Birds, including parrots, require a certificate of veterinary health.

– Transportation of bird species threatened with extinction is prohibited.

– Pets may enter as traveler’s luggage, as cargo, or in the cabin.

РAn import permit from the Ministry of Agriculture is required for pet birds in the company of their owners, except for birds heading towards M̩rida and Campeche.

Baggage Clearance regulations

A traveler’s luggage should be cleared at the first port of entry. Luggage should be labeled accordingly, and the traveler should be informed of this. Passengers will have to collect their luggage for inspection and proceed through customs.

Airport tax

All travelers departing from Mexico on international flights must pay an international airport departure tax or a tourism tax that varies with each airport and ranges from USD 18 to USD 29 for each traveler.

Place of payment: Airport of departure in Mexico if the tax is not already included in the ticket.


1. Citizens and residents of Mexico are exempted from the tourism tax.

2. Travelers with a diplomatic passport.

3. Transit travelers were abiding by the TWOV conditions.

4. Airline crew members were traveling on duty.

5. Children aged less than two years of age.

Currency Import regulations

Travelers can import local currency (Nuevo Peso-MXN) up to an equivalent of USD 10,000. Higher sums must be declared; Travelers are also allowed to import foreign currencies, but any sum must be declared on arrival. Transfer of foreign currencies into local currency is only permitted at authorized banks.

Non-residents can exchange as much money as necessary for their expenses. Yet, Mexican banks will only accept freely convertible currencies.

Currency Export regulations

Residents and Mexican citizens can export local currency (Nuevo Peso-MXN) up to an equivalent of USD 10,000, but there are no restrictions on foreign currencies.

Airport exchange offices will sell no less than USD 1,000 up to USD 3,000 per trip abroad. Higher sums for business trips, medical purposes, and others must be obtained from the Bank of Mexico.

Non-Residents other than Mexican citizens can export local currency up to an equivalent of USD 10,000 and foreign currencies up to the unused amounts that were previously declared upon arrival.

Additional information on regulations

1. Restricted Goods:

– Any uncanned foodstuff such as pork and its derivatives. Yet, the import of canned food is permitted except for pork and its derivatives. For full information, contact the nearest representation of Mexico.

– Earth, seeds, or materials of vegetable origin used as containers or in the making of handicrafts, plants, and their parts, flowers, and fruits. It is allowed to import useful seeds, and plants provided an authorization from the Ministry of Agriculture is obtained in advance.

2. Imported goods apart from the categories mentioned above are dutiable. Still, they are exempted from an import license provided the total value of such additional goods is no more than USD 500, and the value of goods of the same nature, such as leather goods, is no more than USD 100. Excluded from these additional goods are articles deemed luxury goods such as ivory, glassware, porcelain, electrical appliances, and the like.

3. Firearms and ammunition require an import permit and declaration form obtainable from the Secretary of the National Defense located at Estado Mayor, Lomas de Sotelo, Mexico DF. To get further information, please check the website: Firearms and ammunition are liable for local taxes. The transporting carrier must notify the customs authorities in writing of the shipment’s arrival at least 24 hours in advance. If the carrier fails to conform to the above procedure, it becomes subject to penalties varying from USD 114,499 to USD 171,748.

This publication is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to cover every aspect of the topics with which it deals. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content in this publication. Through this blog post you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of FULFILL Holding Pvt limited. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them. The information in this publication does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from FULFILL Holding Pvt limited or its affiliates. We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.