Guidelines of Visas for Malawi and Customs Information
IMMIGRATION AND VISAS
All travelers require a passport, with the exception of:
1. Travellers released by the United Nations with a ‘Laissez-Passer’ they are traveling on duty.
2. ‘Kinderausweis’ passengers, a German identification document was given to children.
For the duration of the intended visit, the passport or alternative documentation must be valid.
1. Until arrival: Travelers are kindly requested to contact Malawi’s nearest department.
2. On arrival: A visa is issued if necessary to citizens of the People’s Republic of China at Lilongwe International Airport. If they arrive at Chileka International Airport and all other entry areas, visas should be acquired from either the Immigration Headquarters or the regional Immigration Offices in Lilongwe and Mzuzu.
3. On arrival: A visa is issued if necessary to citizens of the Republic of Korea.
A visa must be carried by all travelers except for the following:
1. Malawian citizens.
2. Travelers who stay for no longer than three months, given that they are:
2.1. Travelers with British passports irrespective of passport endorsement relating to their citizenship;
2.2. Citizens of Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Brunei, Cyprus, Dominica, Finland, Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kiribati, Madagascar, Malaysia, Maldives Islands, Malta, Australia, Mauritius, Bangladesh, Mozambique, Belgium, Namibia, St Kitts-Nevis, Botswana, Nauru, St. Lucia, Canada, Nepal, Denmark, Netherlands, Fiji, New Zeeland, France, Norway, Papa New Guinea, Germany, Portugal, Switzerland, Greece, Samoa, Tanzania, Guyana, San Marino, Israel, Seychelles, Jamaica, Sierra Leone, Kenya, Singapore, Lesotho, Trinidad & Tobago, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, South Africa, the United States of America, Spain, Zambia, Sri Lanka, St. Vincent and the grenadines, Sweden, Tonga, Uganda, Vanuatu, and Zimbabwe;
2.3. Travelers with passports from Chinese Taipei.
3. Malawi’s foreign residents with a residence permit.
TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
TWOV is permissible for travelers continuing their trip by the same or the first connecting plane to a third country on condition that they have tickets with confirmed reservations and other necessary documents for their next trip. Permission to leave the airport must be acquired upon arrival from the Immigration Authorities. However, this does not apply to:
a. Citizens of Albania, Vietnam, Algeria, the United Arab Emirates, Armenia, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, Syria, Bahrain, Slovak Republic, Belarus, Russia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Qatar, Bulgaria, People’s Republic of China, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Egypt, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Georgia, Republic of Montenegro, Hungary, Iraq, Oman, Iran, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Democratic Republic of Korea, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Republic of Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Poland, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Republic of Serbia, Slovenia, Sudan, Tajikistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, and the Yemen Republic.
1. For their stay, return or onward tickets, and all the necessary documents for their next journey, travelers must have enough money.
2. All travelers arriving in Malawi other than through a border immigration office shall report to the Immigration Officer at any Immigration Office after arrival.
3. If they receive a residency permit that is valid for six months from the date of entry, travelers can extend their stay for more than 90 days.
CUSTOMS AND FOREIGN EXCHANGE
Travelers are allowed free import of the following goods provided they are declared and carried in their luggage:
– 250 grams of tobacco in any form or 200 cigarettes;
– Travellers aged more than 16 years old are allowed one liter of alcoholic drinks, one liter of beer, and one liter of wine.
Dogs and cats must be accompanied by a Good Health Medical Certificate and a Rabies Vaccine Certificate.
Baggage Clearance regulations:
On arrival in Malawi, the traveler’s luggage should be cleared at the first airport of entry.
Luggage of transit travelers whose destination is outside Malawi.
All travelers departing from Blantyre and Lilongwe are required to pay a service charge as follows:
1. Travellers leaving on international flights:
a. MWK 1,500 for citizens and foreign residents of Malawi.
b. USD 30 for all other travelers.
2. Travellers leaving on domestic flights for all travelers: MWK 200.
Place of payment: Airport of departure.
1. Transit travelers staying in Malawi for less than 24 hours;
2. Children aged less than two years old.
Currency Import regulations:
There are no restrictions on importing local currency (Malawi Kwacha-MWK) and foreign currencies provided the imported sums are declared on arrival.
Currency Export regulations:
Residents are allowed to export local currency (Malawi Kwacha-MWK) up to MWK 200 and foreign currencies up to the equivalent of MWK 200.
Non-residents are allowed to export local currency (Malawi Kwacha-MWK) up to MWK 200 and foreign currencies up to the amount imported and declared.