Click2visas Logo


Airlines Baggage Policy
Car rental
Flight Booking
Hotel Booking
Travel Insurance

Guidelines for how to get a visa for Finland

4 months


Passport Requirements: –

All visitors need a passport, except the following:

1. Travelers with documents proving nationality such as a driver’s license issued to citizens of Finland.

2. Travelers with identification documents issued to Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden for trips between Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, or Sweden. 

3. Travelers with an ‘Identity Document’ issued to citizens of Australia.

4. National Identification Card travelers are given to residents of San Marino, Switzerland, and the Member States of the European Economic Region, except Denmark, Iceland, Norway, the Republic of Ireland, and Great Britain.

5. Travelers with a Gibraltar Identity Card issued to residents of Gibraltar.

6. Travelers with a ‘Laissez-Passer,’ which is issued by the United Nations.

7. Travelers with a Seaman Book or Seafarer’s Identity Document provided they are traveling on business.

8. Travelers with a travel document known as ‘Titre de Voyage’ issued to refugees according to the London Convention of 1946 or the Geneva Convention of 1951 by Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Great Britain.

9. Travelers with German governmental documents as follows:

9.1. ‘Reiseausweis Als Passersatz’ for travelers with an additional official photo ID;

9.2. ‘Reiseausweis Als Passersatz Zur Ruckkehr in die Bundesrepublik Deutschland’ with a photo;

9.3. ‘Kinderausweis,’ an identity card issued to children aged 15 years old or younger. For children aged less than ten years old, the document does not need to contain a photo of the child;

9.4. ‘Personalausweis,’ an identity card issued by the ‘Land of Berlin.”

10. Travelers with travel documents given to Kosovo’s permanent residents by the United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo.

Finland flag between traveler's accessories on old vintage map. tourist destination concept

Document Validity: –

Passports and alternative records, or any of them, must be valid for the length of the visit envisaged.

a. Citizens of Finland may enter with passports or passport replacing documents valid on arrival.

b. Residents of Finland may enter with travel documents valid on arrival.

Additional information: –

1. Passports issued by the former Yugoslavia are still accepted for entering Finland.

2. Joint passports must include a photo of the spouse and a photo of each child aged more than seven years old or younger than 15 years old if such passports were issued after May 1, 2004. Otherwise, a photo ID card showing the child’s name, birth date, and nationality must be submitted along with the passport.

3. Students who, apart from their nationality, live in the Member States of the European Union, Liechtenstein or Switzerland and travel from within the European Union as part of a school community does not need a visa based on the condition that:

– Their names are listed on a ‘List of Travelers’ stamped by the school and accredited in their home country by the relevant authority in charge;

– One of the teachers at school assists the school group;

– This ‘List of Travelers’ must contain a photo of the student.

Not all European Union member countries issue this type of ‘List of Travelers’. The exemption will NOT apply to the ‘List of Travelers’ that is only stamped by the school without photos.

4. Identity Certificates issued by India to Tibetan refugees are not recognized by Finland, even if such certificates contain a visa for another Schengen member country. However, direct transit arriving from and departing for a non-Schengen member country is allowed


On March 25, 2001, the Schengen Agreement, which seeks to lift immigration restrictions on travel within all the signatory member countries’ territories, has become successful. This culminated in the creation of a borderless zone known as the ‘Schengen Area.” Consequently, it is possible for residents of the signatories of that agreement to travel between the countries mentioned above without having their papers examined. However, travelers who require visas for one Schengen state or more to which they are ticketed and whose final destination is a Schengen state for which a visa is not needed must travel with a ‘Schengen Visa.’ Moreover, Transit without Visa (TWOV) is not applicable if one of the next trips or transit countries is a Schengen country. A visa is required because the traveler will be entering the Schengen area or borderless territory. This means that travelers from states that require a visa for all Schengen States and travelers from states that require a visa for one or more Schengen States to which they are ticketed always need a visa. Travelers should acquire Schengen visas before they arrive in the Schengen territory.

Visa Exemptions: –

All travelers must hold a visa except the following:

1. Citizens of Finland.

2. Travelers with British passports endorsed ‘British Citizen.’

3. Citizens of Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

4. Travelers staying for no more than 90 days in any half-year period provided they are:

4.1. Citizens of Principality of Andorra, Antigua & Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Republic of Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Seychelles, Republic of Singapore, St. Kitts-Nevis, Republic of Uruguay, USA, Vatican City, and Venezuela.

4.2. Travelers with British passports endorsed ‘British National (Overseas)’;

4.3. Travelers with British passports endorsed:

– ‘British Overseas Territories Citizen’ that shows the label ‘right of residence’ issued by Great Britain; or

– ‘British Subject,’ which also shows the label ‘right of residence’ granted by Great Britain;

4.4. Travelers with passports issued by Hong Kong or by Macao.

4.5. Travelers with diplomatic, service, or special passports provided they are citizens of Peru, Thailand, or Turkey;

4.6. Travelers with diplomatic, service, or special passports provided they are citizens of Pakistan;

4.7. Travelers with diplomatic, official, service, or special passports provided they are citizens of the Philippines;

4.8. Travelers with diplomatic passports provided they are citizens of Albania, Bosnia Herzegovina, Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia, Republic of Moldova, Republic of Montenegro, Russia, Republic of Serbia, and Ukraine;

4.9. Travelers, regardless of nationality, with a residence permit issued by Monaco or by one of the Schengen countries;

4.10. Travelers, regardless of nationality, with:

– A long term residence permit issued by Bulgaria, Cyprus, Republic of Ireland, Romania, or the United Kingdom; or

– Travelers with a ‘family member’ residence permit issued by member countries of the European Economic Area and Switzerland to a family member who is a citizen of a European Economic Area member country or Switzerland provided they are traveling with or traveling to join the citizen of a European Economic Area member country or Switzerland; 

4.11. Travelers with travel documents and resident permits issued by a European Economic Area member country or Switzerland to approved refugees and people without nationality or citizenship.

5. Travelers with passports issued by the former Yugoslavia.

6. Travelers with diplomatic or service passports provided they are citizens of Bolivia.

7. Travelers with a residence permit issued by Finland to foreign residents.

8. Travelers with a ‘Laissez Passer’ issued by the European Union.

9. Travelers with a ‘Laissez Passer’ issued by the United Nations.

10. Travelers, regardless of nationality, residing in Lichtenstein for no more than five days and holding proof of their residence provided they are in transit through the Schengen Area and are continuing their visit to a country outside the Schengen region apart from the means of transport.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa): –

TWOV is permissible for travelers continuing their trip directly to a third country within 24 hours without leaving the transit area at Helsinki-Vantaa airport provided:

– they do arrive from and depart to non-Schengen countries;

– they have confirmed onward tickets; and

– they have all the necessary and valid documents for their next visit.

* Exemption:

This does not apply to citizens of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Congo (Kinshasa), Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, and Sri Lanka.

a.1. However, a transit visa is not required if the traveler has a residence permit for Andorra, Bulgaria, Canada, Cyprus, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Romania, San Marino, United States of America, or the United Kingdom.

Additional information: –

1. All travelers must have enough money for their stay, return or onward tickets, and all documents required for their next trip.


– Citizens of the European Economic Area member countries and Switzerland.

2. Students living in a Member State of the European Union, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, and traveling as part of a school team within the European Union, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, with the exception of their various nationalities, do not need a visa on the condition that their names are stamped on a ‘Traveler List’ by the school and that the school group is accompanied by one of them.

When the ‘List of Travelers’ is only stamped by the school and is neither authenticated by the concerned authority in charge nor containing photos of the students, each student must carry his/her valid travel document and proof of residence place.


1. Travelers who do not respect entry regulations may be denied entry, and both the transporting carrier and the traveler may be subject to difficulties and fines of no less than EUR 300 per traveler and no more than EUR 5,000 per traveler (with a maximum amount of EUR 500,000 per flight).

2. Travelers with nationalities required to have a visa must obtain that visa before arrival in Finland.


Import regulations: –

1. Travelers arriving with goods bought within the European Union for personal use only:

a. There are no restrictions on the number of purchases, including taxes, made in the shops of any of the countries of the European Union and brought to Finland so long as these goods are to be used by the travelers or by their family members or are brought in as gifts that will not be used for commercial purposes.

b. There are no restrictions on the following food items so long as they are to be used by the travelers: meat and fish and their products; milk and its products; and egg-products brought from a European Union country.

2. Travelers arriving from non-European Union countries including the Aland Islands, Canary Islands, and other similar regions are allowed free import of:

a. Travelers aged 17 years old and more are allowed 200 cigarettes; 100 cheroots; 50 cigars; 250 grams of smoking tobacco; or a proportional mixture of these products;

b. Travelers aged 20 years old and more are allowed to import all of the following alcoholic drinks while those aged 18 years old may carry only alcoholic drinks with a maximum volume of 22%:

– one liter of alcoholic drinks over 22% volume; non-denatured ethyl alcohol with more than 80% volume;

– two liters of alcoholic drinks or aperitifs made of wine or similar drinks less than 22% volume; sparkling wines or liqueur wines; or

– a proportional mixture of these products.

In addition to:

– four liters of still wine; and

-16 liters of beer;

c. Cut Flowers, excluding chrysanthemums and carnations, cut and brought from countries outside Europe and orchids brought from Thailand;

d. Air travelers are allowed other goods up to a total value of EUR 430 per traveler.

3. Prohibited Goods:

Animal products not originating in the Member States of the European Union, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Norway, San Marino or Switzerland cannot be imported into the Member States of the European Union, with the exception of small quantities of products originating in Andorra, Croatia, the Faeroe Islands, Greenland, Iceland and small quantities of specific products originating in other countries. 

3.1. For further details, please check the website of the European Union:

Export regulations: –

There are no restrictions on the export of:

a. tobacco products;

b. alcoholic drinks: travelers aged 20 years old or more are allowed to export up to 12 liters of strong beer and up to five liters of other alcoholic drinks; 18-year-olds are allowed an only mild beer.

Pets: –

Dogs and Cats are subject to the rule (EC no. 998 of 2003) of the European Parliament and the Council of Europe.

For further information, please contact the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Department of Food and Health. Tel:+ 358-9-160 53387

Fax:+ 358-9-160 53338).

Pet Animals: may enter as traveler’s luggage or as cargo.

Pet Birds: import of birds requires an import license obtained from the Finnish Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.

Baggage Clearance regulations: –

A traveler’s luggage should be cleared at the airport of final destination in Finland. However, if the traveler has any goods to declare, he must inform the customs authorities at the first entry point in Finland:

* Exemptions:

a. luggage of travelers departing for another European Union country;

b. luggage of transit travelers whose destination is outside Finland.

Airport tax: –

When leaving the airport, all passengers are not required to pay any airport fees.

Currency rules: –

There are no restrictions on importing and exporting local currency (Euro – EUR) and foreign currencies for travelers arriving from or traveling to a country within the European Union. As far as travelers coming directly from or traveling to a country outside the European Union are concerned, amounts in other currency exceeding EUR 10 000 or equivalent, including banker’s drafts and cheques of any sort, must be declared.

Arms and Ammunition regulations: –

Transporting and importing firearms, parts of firearms, and cartridges used in firearms for private purposes require a permit showing that the person is authorized to own the firearm concerned; this permit must be issued by the importer’s police authority’s home country or place of residence. It is forbidden to transport and import dangerous cartridges or firearms.

For further information, please contact the Finnish Ministry of Interior’s Police Department: telephone number: +358-9-1601.

This publication is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to cover every aspect of the topics with which it deals. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content in this publication. Through this blog post you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of FULFILL Holding Pvt limited. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them. The information in this publication does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from FULFILL Holding Pvt limited or its affiliates. We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.