Overview of Visa for Cape Verde
IMMIGRATION AND VISAS
A passport is required by all travelers except the following:
- Travelers with a National Identity Card issued to Citizens of Cape Verde Islands.
- Travelers with a ‘Laissez Passer’ issued by the United Nations to staff provided they are traveling on duty.
- Travelers with Identity cards issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to the staff of foreign missions.
- Travelers with a Seaman Book as long as they are traveling on duty.
- Travelers with ‘Kinderausweis,’ a German identity document issued to children. If children are aged less than ten years old, the document need not contain a photo of the child.
Passports and alternative papers, or either of them, must be valid at least for the period of the intended visit.
- Citizens of Cape Verde Islands may enter with passports or alternative papers that are valid on arrival.
- Residents of the Cape Verde Islands may enter with travel documents that are valid on arrival.
- Before arrival: Travellers are kindly requested to contact the nearest representation of the Cape Verde Islands.
- On arrival: a visa may be issued if necessary to travelers coming from counties with no diplomatic representation of the Cape Verde Islands.
All travelers must hold a visa except the following:
- Citizens of Cape Verde Islands.
- Citizens of Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cote d’Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Republic of Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- Citizens of the People’s Republic of China provided they have passports issued by Hong Kong (A Special Administrative Region of China) or passports issued by Macao (A Special Administrative Region of China) and travel permits and staying for no more than 90 days.
- Travelers with a return permit issued by Cape Verde Islands.
- Travelers with official passports provided they are citizens of Cuba.
- Travelers with diplomatic or service passports.
- Former Citizen of Cape Verde Islands as long as they have proof of their citizenship, including their spouses and/or children.
TWOV (Transit without Visa):-
TWOV is permissible for travelers with onward or return tickets who are continuing their trip without leaving the airport.
Information to know:-
- Travelers who do not respect visa regulations will be denied entry to Cape Verde Islands and will be deported at the expense of the transporting carrier.
CUSTOMS AND FOREIGN EXCHANGE
- Travelers are allowed free import of a moderate amount of perfume, lotion, and Eau de Cologne in open bottles for personal use only. Travelers are not allowed free import of tobacco products and alcoholic drinks in general.
There are no restrictions on export.
To bring in pets, a certificate of veterinary health is required. Dogs require an additional certificate of vaccination against rabies.
Travelers are not allowed to pay any airport tax upon departure from the airport.
Currency Import regulations:-
Travelers are not permitted to import local currency (Cape Verde Escudo-CVE). Foreign currencies: There are no restrictions on importing foreign currencies provided the imported sums are declared on arrival.
Currency Export regulations:-
The export of local currency (Cape Verde Escudo-CVE) is not permitted. Travelers are allowed to export foreign currencies up to the equivalent of CVE 20,000. Higher sums must be declared on arrival.