How to know the United Airlines Baggage Fee?
Before starting our air journey, it is far better to know the United Airlines Baggage Fee and its policy well in advance, which in turn help us in avoiding unwanted confusion at the airport. Let us have a look at it.
United Airlines Baggage Policy:
Fares of Economy Class include:
- Carry-on Baggage
- Carry-on Item (1) – Without Fee
- Personal Item (1) – Without Fee
- Checked Baggage – With Fee
- Sports Equipment – With Fee
- Overweight and Oversize Bags – Fees applicable and is varying on the weight and size.
United Airlines hold luggage or checked baggage policy:
You can find below standard hold luggage or checked baggage policy:
- 2 Standard Bags (fee applicable for economy class)
- Weight allowed maximum up to 23 kilograms or 50 pounds.
- Maximum dimensions: 62 inches or 157 centimeters
United Airlines carry-on baggage policy:
United Airlines allows one carry-on bag and one personal item such as a purse, laptop bag, briefcase per passenger without a fee.
Following are the size and weight restrictions for carry-on, which should not exceed:
- 115 centimeters (56 x 36 x 23 cm) or 45 linear inches (22 x 14 x 9 inches) which includes wheels and handles.
- It has to be fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.
Following are the size and weight restrictions for a personal item, which should not exceed:
- 89 centimeters (41 x 28 x 20 cm) or 36 linear inches (16 x 11 x 8 inches)
- Umbrella, jacket, duty-free items, diaper bag, assistive items (such as wheelchairs, walkers, strollers, child restraint seats, crutches, and others) will not be counted towards your carry-on allowance.
- It also needs to be fitted in an overhead bin or under the seat which is in front of you.
Please note: the Bulkhead seats will not have under seat storage, and thus, all carry-on luggage must be loaded in the overhead bin at the time of landing and take off.
Do fees available for baggage on United Airlines?
Yes, fees may be applicable. The below parameters determine the fee
- Your destination
- Type of fare (economy or business) you have purchased
- Your status with United Airlines’ frequent flyer program
- US Military personnel or department
- Possession of United Airlines’ sponsored credit/charge card
- Status with an affiliated carrier.
Checked baggage or hold luggage fee charged by United Airlines (for US Domestic Flights):
- For the first bag – 35 USD
- For the second bag – 45 USD
- For Third and any other additional – 150 USD (for each bag)
Checked baggage or hold luggage fee charged by United Airlines (for International flights):
United Airlines’ standard holds luggage or checked baggage fees for to and from US international flights generally Zero for the first and 100 USD for the second. International Basic Economy hold luggage or checked baggage fees are 60 USD for the first bag and 100 USD for the second.
Disclaimer: The United Airlines Baggage Fee and policy keep changing from time-to-time, so it is best to check with united.com for the updated one. Whereas some routes allow two checked bags as a standard. For checking the exact amount by the route, you are traveling by. It is better to check with United Airlines’ Baggage Calculator on United.com
The fee charged by United Airlines for excess baggage:
United Airlines charges a range from 150 USD for the third bag, and for every additional one, it is purely based on the route you are traveling by. It is strongly advisable to visit United Airlines Baggage Calculator on United.com, that will help you to determine the actual amount as per the route we are going to take.
Kindly note: There might be permanent or time-framed ban to and from specific destinations. These destinations may include South America, Central America, Mexico, Europe, the Caribbean, and the Middle East. So, check with the United Airlines’ website before you start.
The fee charged by United Airlines for overweight baggage:
Below is the fee that the United Airlines levy on US Domestic Flights for more than the standard 23 kilograms or 50 pounds.
- For 24 to 32 kilograms (51 to 70 pounds) – 100 USD to 200 USD per additional bag
- For 33 to 46 kilograms (71 to 100 pounds) – 400 USD per extra bag
- The Bags exceeding 46 kilograms, or 100 pounds will not be accepted as a Hold Luggage or Checked Bags.
Baggage from 63 to 115 linear inches or 160 to 192 centimeters will be charged 200 USD. Baggage bigger the mentioned lengths will not be accepted as hold luggage/ checked baggage.