An Overview of USA C1 Transit Visa

4 years


Usually, a foreign country citizen wishing to enter the United States must first receive a visa, either a temporary resident visa for non-immigrants or a permanent residency visa for immigrants. Transit (C) visas are non-immigrant visas for foreign citizens traveling through the United States in immediate and continuous transit on their way to another destination, with few exceptions. Immediate and continuous transit is interpreted as a fairly expeditious exit of the traveler in the usual course of travel as the components allow and assume a prescheduled itinerary without unfair privileges of the layover. Any crew member operating a seagoing vessel or aircraft in the United States must use a C-1 transit visa. 

Business partners closing deal

What is USA C1 transit visa, and who can use this visa type?

A U.S. C-1 transit visa requires people passing across the United States for an immediate and continuous trip to another country. This visa needs to be used by any crew member serving onboard a sea vessel or aircraft in the United States.

What is the acceptable condition to apply for a USA C1 transit visa?

To qualify for a C-1/D visa, your trip’s purpose must be to enter the US only for transit or crew purposes. You do not expect to be employed in the United States by a US corporation unless you have already been issued a temporary work visa. You must plan to stay in America for a particular and limited amount of time.

Will I need to give some evidence of my financial situation while applying for a C1 transit visa to the USA? 

Yes, when you are applying for a USA C1 transit visa, you need to prove that you have sufficient funds that will cover all of your expenses while in the United States.

What are the United States procedures for applying for a C1 transit visa?

It is quite simple to complete the request. Please follow the below steps carefully:

  1. Choose the departure and arrival country, select the required visa type, enter your name, and click ‘CLICK TO START.’
  2. Verify the visa fee and terms and conditions on the next page.
  3. On the third page, enter your basic details in the respective field and upload the necessary documents (you can upload the documents in a later stage also).
  4. After that, confirm and review the information of your form, then proceed with the payment. We support all types of cards for payment.
  5. You will receive the invoice and a confirmation mail with a link in your registered email id.
  6. Click the link and complete the remaining C1 transit visa form (you can also upload the document in this stage) and submit it for processing.
  7. Once the visa process is completed, click2visas will send your visa related documents and appointment details to your email.
  8. Visit the US Embassy on the appointment date for final approval.

What are the other types of visas available for crew members?

Crew members on a plane or ship traveling in the air or water across the United States typically use a variation of a transit visa/crew visa. This is a combination of a C-1 and a D visa. In some cases, the crew member can need just a D visa.

Can I apply for two USA visas at the same time?

Yes, you can, if you are traveling between flights or cruises in the United States, you can obtain a B-1 Business Visa /B-2 Tourist Visa to use during your stay/holiday. When you apply simultaneously for a C-1 transit visa / D and a B-1 business visa / B-2 visitor visa, you will only have to pay one processing fee.

How C1 transit visa differs from the usual Non-immigrant transit visa?

For all non-immigrant visas, a transit visa is for individuals continuously passing across the United States and on their way to another country. A foreigner serving on a vessel heading to the United States would typically have to obtain this visa. You would need a Transit C-1 visa, if:

  1. A foreign citizen who flies to another country may have a short layover in the United States.
  2. A passenger on a cruise ship that does port in the United States does not intend to land in the United States.
  3. A crew member flies as a passenger to the United States to join a ship or a plane as an employee. This person will also need a visa to join the crew.

Where can’t we use a USA transit visa, C1?

A transit visa C1 can’t be used for:

  1. A layover in the US is primarily a reason for visiting friends or sightseeing.
  2. If you’re a coast official.
  3. A crew person of a private yacht that sails more than 29 days in US waters from a foreign port.
Smiley coworker working as car dealers

What are the required documents you must bring to the C1 transit visa interview?

The required documents you are expected to bring to the C1 transit visa interview includes a:

  1. Passport
  2. Non-immigrant Visa Application
  3. Application fee payment receipt
  4. Photo.

Are there any additional requirements for a C1 transit visa other than the documents mentioned above?

Additional documentation you are expected to present during your C1 transit visa interview includes:

  1. Your reason for entry into The United States is to transit while traveling onward to another country and intend to leave The United States.
  2. Evidence of being able to pay all of the bills while residing in the United States.
  3. Evidence of your country of residence and your plan to return there.

How much does it cost to apply for a C1 transit visa?

The cost to get a C1 transit visa is 160 USD. A service cost of USD 10 will be additionally charged to help you acquire your visa.

Can I buy an airline ticket before getting a C1 transit visa?

It is not guaranteed that you will be issued a visa so, it’s essential that you do not make final travel plans or buy tickets until you officially get your visa.

This publication is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to cover every aspect of the topics with which it deals. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content in this publication. Through this blog post you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of FULFILL Holding Pvt limited. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them. The information in this publication does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from FULFILL Holding Pvt limited or its affiliates. We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.