Quick facts about B1 B2 visa length of stay

By support@click2visas.com
4 years


B1 / B2 is a “non-immigrant” visa category for persons wishing to enter the United States temporarily for business (B1 visa category), tourism (B2 visa category) or a combination of the two reasons (B1 / B2); In general, the U.S. government issues B1 / B2 visas, rather than either a B1 or B2 visa. The length of a B1 / B2 visa refers to the period of time the permit is valid and will require you to stay in a single visit in the US. This is called ‘full stay’ as well. In the beginning, we will tell you the overall length of B1 / B2 is one year. We say maximum, though, because the duration for each traveler can be different. Most probably, the B1 B2 visa length of stay is 180 days for each entry.

Businessman reading contract closeup

What is a US B1 and B2 Visa?

B1 / B2 is a category of ‘non-immigrant’ visa for individuals wishing to enter the United States temporarily for business (type B1 visa), tourism (type B2 visa), or a combination of both intentions (B1 / B2). In general, the US government issues B1 / B2 visas instead of either a B1 or a B2 visa. 

How long should my passport valid for B1 / B2 Tourist Visa?

The passport of the applicant should be valid for a minimum of 6 months from the date of arrival into the United States. And must hold at least two blank pages.

How long is the visa valid for B1 / B2?   

US State Department announced that all permanent visas would expire on the 10th year of their date of issuance. If you got your B-1 / B-2 visa more than ten years ago, it is not valid anymore. If eligible, you will be expected to apply for a new visa or travel free visa under the Visa Waiver Programme.

How long will I stay with a B1 / B2 visa in the United States?

B1 B2 visa length of stay is a maximum of 180 days per entry. 

How many times can I enter with a B1 / B2 visa into the United States??

Multiple entries are permitted via the US B1 / B2 Visa.

My tourist visa for B1 / B2 is still valid, but my passport has expired. Do I need a new Visa?

Not necessarily. In this case, along with your new legal passport, you must hold your passport expired with the original US visa. Your personal details (name, age, date of birth, and nationality) on both passports must, therefore, be the same. If for some reason, you have updated your personal information (e.g., change of name due to marriage), then you will have to apply for a new visa.

Will I extend my stay in the United States?

If you want your B1 B2 visa length of stay to be extended, you will get your B1 / B2 Visa extended, but there’s law your stay in the United States can’t exceed one year. So, if the duration of 6 months is granted, you can extend it by just another six months. You need a very strong justification for the extension, though, you’ll need to show you’re ‘needing’ to live for longer. 

What if I have to stay in the US for more than one year?

If this is the case, you may be tempted to change your visa status. Nevertheless, if this is your intention from the beginning, then during your interview, you need to mention that to the consular officer. But if you never wanted to change the status of your visa, you need to be able to show that the reason you need the extension happened when you were still in the US.

Will I need a return ticket to fly with a B1 / B2 visa?

It does not require the holder of a B-1 / B-2 visa to hold a return ticket. You should, however, bear evidence to show you have a reason to leave the U.S. at the end of your visit, and back to your residence abroad. You will also bring documentation to prove that when you are in the United States, you have ample funds for your assistance.

What activities does B1 Visa cover?

The holder of a B-1 visa or a person traveling for business without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program may do any of the following activities:

  • Attend business conferences or trade conferences or conventions
  • Connect with mutual partners
  • Negotiate Agreements
  • Goods or materials to buy
  • Take place as a witness in legal cases.
  • Taking on independent research

Travelers entering the U.S. could not perform productive work or consider paid or unpaid jobs under the B-1 classification.

Business people - team meeting in an office

What things does the B2 visa cover?

Each of the following activities can be conducted by the holder of a B-2 visa or a person traveling for pleasure without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program:

  • Visit friends or relatives.
  • Undergo healthcare treatment
  • Participate in fraternal or social conventions, conferences or convocations
  • Amateurs participate in musical, sports, or similar events or contests unless they are paid for participating.
  • Enrolment in a short study, recreational course, not for degree credit (like a two-day cooking class while on holiday)

Does the B2 visa require a letter of invitation?

A Letter of Invitation is not a must. It’s strongly recommended to have one, but it’s not on the regular requirements list.

Where do I apply for a United States B1 / B2 visa??

You could go closer to you to the US Embassy and apply on your own, but you’ll probably have to deal with a long queue, and you’ll need a lot of time to speak properly with them. That’s why click2visas will help to get your interview faster and without any hassle. Please note that we are not providing the actual visa; we are just giving you the best possible support so that you can have an interview.

When I have more unanswered questions or suspicions, where can I find more info about B1 B2 visa length of stay?

If you need more details about the B1 B2 visa length of stay, you can contact us, and We will be mirthful to assist you. You can also get more info here. Start your adventure today and be worried about what to do on your trip and leave the rest to us.

This publication is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to cover every aspect of the topics with which it deals. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content in this publication. Through this blog post you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of FULFILL Holding Pvt limited. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them. The information in this publication does not constitute legal, tax or other professional advice from FULFILL Holding Pvt limited or its affiliates. We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the publication is accurate, complete or up to date.