Can you renew your passport at the Post Office?
Avoid standing in long lines at the post office. Instead, choose to apply for renewal via mail. Renewing your US passport is much easier than applying for one for the first time; it is not always as simple as it appears. That is why we created a detailed passport renewal guide. Passport renewal applications can be completed quickly in few minutes, allowing you to spend more time planning your trip.
Sadly there is no option for you to renew your passport in a passport acceptance facility or a post office. Passport renewal at post office is only for first-time applicants.
Did you check your passport validity? Did you? Most of the Americans haven’t opened the passport for a long time because of COVID-19. However, with an expected increase in travel as COVID-19, infection rates have fallen, and vaccination rates rise. This is the best time to make sure that those travel plans you’ve been fantasizing about can, eventually, become a reality.
Take that one step to ensure that you have a genuine, updated passport. For both international travel and domestic travel you require a passport or a REAL ID beginning on Oct. 1, 2021.
When do you need to renew your US passport?
In general, renew your passport approximately six months before it expires, even if you do not expect to leave the country shortly. If you plan a trip, please check your passport’s expiry date. Many countries require that passports be valid 3 to 6 months from the day they leave USA. Please check the website of the US State Department for your country of destination before planning your vacation.
How to renew a passport by mail?
If your most recent US passport meets the following requirements, you can submit your passport via email:
- There is no significant damage.
- was submitted within the previous 15 years
- It was given to you when you were 16 or older.
- Uses your latest name (or you submit an original or certified copy documenting your name change)
All applicants submitting their request by mail need to complete the DS-82 form available on the State Department’s website, asking for basic information such as the full name, date of birth, social security number, and more.
You will also have to send your latest US passport, name change documents and check for the government application fee.
What do you do if your passport is lost or stolen?
The first step you should do is report your lost or stolen passport so that it can be blocked from usage. You can do this online, by telephone, or by mail. Your US passport is no longer valid as soon as it is identified as lost or stolen. So canceling it online or by phone is the best way to prevent anyone from using it instantly.
Then, to apply for a new passport, use the standard application forms. If you’re in the USA, you’ll need to fill out form DS-11, designed for lost or stolen passports. Go in-person to a passport acceptance facility (which may include some post offices), where documents are handled and mailed to a passport office.
You can get an appointment online, but if you have a trip planned within three weeks, you should go to a passport agency, which can process the application on the spot or within a few days.
What are the documents required for passport renewal?
- Your latest passport – Put your passport in the envelope with your other documents when renewing it by mail. Your old US passport will be handed back to you once it has been processed. It will, however, most likely be in a separate envelope from your new passport.
- Passport Renewal Application Form – Click2Visas will send the completed renewal form to your side if you apply through Click2visas. All you got to do is sign and post the USPS envelope in the nearest mailbox.
Passport Photo specifications:
- Passport photo – Your passport photo must meet the following specifications:
- Your passport photograph must have been taken within the previous six months.
- Use a photo that shows the true tone of your skin. Do not use filters from social media or edit an image.
- You need to use a white or off-white background.
- Wearing eyeglasses in your photo is not acceptable.
- Submit a photo that is not blurry or pixelated and is of high quality.
- Wear clothes that you usually wear.
- Except for religious or medical reasons, you are not permitted to wear a hat or head covering. In this, you must provide a signed statement or a doctor’s note confirming that the head covering is used daily for religious or medical purposes.
- The photo should be 2×2 inches in size. The head size in the photo should be between 1 and 1 3/8 inches.
- Print the image on glossy or matte photo paper.
- Name change document (if applicable) – If you modified your name legally since your last passport, include a legal document proving that your name has changed. A copy of your marriage certificate or court order documenting your name change may be included.
- Passport Renewal Payment – Typically, the application fee for passport books is $110. Money orders and checks (including cashiers’, certified, personal, and traveler’s checks) should be made payable to the “U.S. Department of State.”
Click2Visas about passport renewal at post office
As we stated already, you can only renew your passport through mail. 4 simple steps for passport renewal:
- Visit to the Click2Visas widget and choose the option “Passport”
- Log in it and complete the online passport renewal form and upload your photo and passport as per the instructions given.
- You will get your physical docket at your doorway. The physical docket has a filled passport renewal form, a printed and stapled passport photo, and a USPS envelope.
- Date and sign the form and you have to post it in the nearby USPS mailbox. Enclose payment check or money order and related documents.
Have you compared the service charges of various Passport agents? You might be surprised. At the same time, if you check ours, you will be pleasantly surprised because our service fees is significantly lower than others. You can compare and confirm your findings for yourself.
We’ve put a lot of money into safety and security features. We understand that passport information is exceptionally private, and we make every effort to provide the highest level of data security. We keep your documents in a safe facility.
Click2visas has one of the friendliest customer service departments you will ever seen, and available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our support is available to you at all times until you receive your passport.